Remembering Ralph Rapson
Today, September 13, 2014, is the 100th anniversary of architect Ralph Rapson’s birth. Considered a leader in modern design, Rapson (1914-2008) was head of the University of Minnesota School of Architecture from 1954-1984. His Twin Cities designs include:
- Guthrie Theater, (top right: built 1963, razed 2007) – the first Guthrie Theater, built with Sir Tyrone Guthrie on Vineland Place, Minneapolis
- Rarig Center (center left: built 1972),the performing arts center on the University of Minnesota campus
- Cedar Square West apartments (center right: now Riverside Plaza, built 1973), a mixed income housing unit in the Cedar-Riverside neighborhood
- State Capitol Credit Union / Southeast Library (bottom, built 1963) Built as a credit union and converted to Southeast Library in Dinkytown in 1967
- Phillip Pillsbury House in Wayzata (not pictured: 1963, razed 1997), a 9000 square foot house and the first contemporary home built on Lake Minnetonka.
After his retirement from the University of Minnesota, Rapson continued to work full-time as a practicing architect. He was at his drawing board until the day before he died on March 29, 2008, at age 93.