Dow Mansion/Hopkins Public Library, 12 Ninth Avenue South, Hopkins, 1948
This photo was taken shortly after the library moved from a ”cramped and somewhat shabby 36 years in two rooms on the second floor of the city hall” to the more spacious mansion. The library remained in the Dow Mansion until 1963. The weight of the books caused the house to become unsafe. The library was temporarily housed at 25 9th Street North until a new library could be built.
The new Library opened in 1968 and is still in operation. The independent Hopkins public library joined the Hennepin County Library in 1972.
The Dow mansion was razed and a stained glass window from the mansion is owned by the Hopkins Historical Society.