Early Stonework Revealed During Downtown Dig
These photos show early Minneapolis stonework revealed during the building excavation going on across the street from Minneapolis Central Library, on the southeast corner of 4th St. and Nicollet Mall (future home of the Xcel Energy corporate headquarters). The exposed wall has since been covered up (not torn down), but it will likely reveal itself again, as the site changes every day.
The site was most recently home to a nearly-50-year-old, 6-story parking ramp with vacant retail below. Prior to that, the old Minneapolis Journal (built in 1889) and Minneapolis Tribune (built in 1884) were located there, on a portion of 4th Street known as Newspaper Row.
These photos were shot from the Preservation Unit on the 5th floor of Central Library during the week of July 7, 2014.