History of Maple Grove Library
Earliest service to Maple Grove was extensive bookmobile service to the farms and schools. This was begun in the 1920’s. By 1984 Maple Grove was the busiest bookmobile stop in the county. In 1951, Barbara Flanagan, writer on the Minneapolis Tribune, rode along for a day’s trip with Olaf Jacobson and Helen Young. Among her comments, “At the farm home of Mrs. Viola Tasler near Maple Grove, Miss Young distributed 14 books. Maple Grove school children, who had been playing baseball in the yard, flocked to the truck to select books.” There were multiple stops in the area along Bass Lake Road and Weaver Lake Drive.
Planning for the Maple Grove Library began in 1970. The chosen site was two acres in size. The groundbreaking was August 15, 1986. The original plan called for 5,000 square feet, but it was doubled to 10,000 square feet. The opening was Tuesday, October 6, 1987. The library opened with 30,000 books, 150 periodicals, 800 records, and various pamphlets, slides and tapes. The formal dedication was on April 17, 1988, with Howard Mohr as speaker. The expansion began in the summer of 1995 with the architect Bernard Jacobs. The library was open during construction except for December 22, 1995 – February 18, 1996. The library reopened on February 19, 1996 with 15,000 square feet. The expansion budget of $1,500,000 included $100,000 for F & E and $140,000 for collection. Additions included a new quiet study area and an expanded reading room. The library also included a designated teen area. The current building was built in 2010.
The Friends of the Library formed in October of 1987.
Anita Force, President
Cathy Stephenson, Vice President
Dorothy Schoeneman, Secretary
Maggie Novak, Treasurer.
The second president of the Friends was Cathy Stephenson, elected 1988.
The first volunteer was Jan Zoch.