Upper St. Anthony Lock and Dam to Close - ?
Although first approved with the passage by Congress of the Minneapolis Harbor Development Project in 1937, construction of the Upper St. Anthony Falls Lock and Dam was not actually completed until 1963. Congress is currently considering closing the Lock and Dam in an effort to stem the northward migration of asian carp, an invasive species.
The lock has one of the largest lifts on the river at 49 feet, accounting for 10% of the total height change on the Upper Mississippi. A section of the Stone Arch Bridge was removed and altered during construction to allow for greater clearance. In the 1961 photo above, from the Floyd J. Kelley collection, the bridge can still be seen in its original state.