The demolition of the Ford Plant in St. Paul brings to mind the Ford Bridge, spanning the Mississippi River from Ford Pkwy in St. Paul to 46th St. in Minneapolis. The bridge was designed by the Norwegian immigrant engineer Martin Sigvart Grytbak and constructed in 1926 through a joint effort of the cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul. It was originally called the Intercity Bridge, but because it was built expressly to service the new Ford Twin Cities Assembly Plant it became more commonly known as the Ford Parkway Bridge. It was redecked and widened in 1973 and rebuilt from the arches up in 2004. The 1500 ft. concrete rib-arch bridge was listed on the National Registry of Historic Places in 1989. The Special Collections Dept of Hennepin County Library has dozens of photographs chronicling the construction of the bridge.